Today’s Recipe is Frank and Beans Casserole. This was perfect for the chilly day we had. This comes out to be a very thrifty recipe no matter where you have to shop!
- 1 TBS extra-virgin olive oil – on hand
- 2 packages of Bar S Hot Dogs – $.49 each at Save Mart with in-ad coupon; Total = $.98
- 1 medium red onion, chopped – $.68/lb at Walmart; Total for 1 = Approx. $.50
- 2 tablespoons molasses (OPTIONAL) – I had on hand
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (OPTIONAL) – On Hand
- 2 cups (15 oz can) tomato sauce (OPTIONAL) - $.32 for Muir Glen with $1/1 HERE at Walmart
- 3 16 oz cans or 1 family-size can baked beans – $.99 for Van Camp’s at Raley’s; Total for 3 = $2.97. Or you could just use a 28oz (family) of Bush’s Baked Beans at Walmart for $1.84
- 2 8.5 oz boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (or other brand) – $.58 at Walmart; Total for 2 = $1.16
- 2 eggs – On Hand
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted – On Hand
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk – On Hand
- 1 tablespoon (about a palmful) chili powder – On Hand
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels and/or 2 cups shredded cheese (OPTIONAL)- I didn’t add these for the sake of keeping cost down; and it’s still tasty!
- TOTAL COST= $4.80 – $5.93 depending on which (how much) beans you use.
This had 8 servings so that’s only $.60 per serving at the lower cost!!!!
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a large, oven-safe, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil.
2. Add the sliced hot dogs to the pan and brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add the chopped onion and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
3. Combine molasses, Worcestershire and tomato sauce in a small bowl and add to the skillet. Add the baked beans and bring up to a simmer.