Jolean’s Cheese Potato & Smoked Sausage Casserole
I came across this recipe for Jolean’s Cheese Potato & Smoked Sausage Casserole, as I was trying to find a way to use up some Three Cheese Johnsonville Sausage I had. I have to say…..it was TASTY! My kids all love it and ate every bit! I can’t say that it’s a healthy recipe, but it is good ‘ol Comfort food! It was fairly simple and I’ll bet not too hard on the budget. There have been various Sausage coupons out there lately as well.
Jolean's Cheese Potato & Smoked Sausage Casserole
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool
- 4 Tbs butter
- 4 Tbs flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ lb Velveeta cheese, diced
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb skinless smoked sausage (ham or hot dogs will work too)
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut sausage in half, lengthwise, and chop into bite size pieces.
- Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to SLIGHTLY brown.
- Meanwhile, put cooked potatoes in a 2 qt casserole dish. Add cooked meat and toss.
- Mix remaining ingredients (minus the cheddar cheese & paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, creating a roux). Cook until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Use a whisk and stir constantly.
- Pour sauce over potatoes and meat and gently mix until incorporated.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
I made way more sauce than I needed, so I’m using the leftovers for macaroni and cheese. It was too yummy to throw out!