Jolean’s Cheese Potato & Smoked Sausage Casserole
I came across this recipe for Jolean’s Cheese Potato & Smoked Sausage Casserole, as I was trying to find a way to use up some Three Cheese Johnsonville Sausage I had. I have to say…..it was TASTY! My kids all love it and ate every bit! I can’t say that it’s a healthy recipe, but it is good ‘ol Comfort food! It was fairly simple and I’ll bet not too hard on the budget. There have been various Sausage coupons out there lately as well.
- 3 cups idaho potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool, approx. 1 lb
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ lb Velveeta cheese, diced
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb skinless smoked sausage (ham or hot dogs will work too)
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then chop into ½ inch “half moon” cuts.
- Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to SLIGHTLY brown.
- Meanwhile, put cooked & diced potatoes in 2 quart casserole dish. Add cooked meat and give it a gentle toss.
- Mix remaining ingredients (excluding sparp cheddar cheese & paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted and smooth. Use a whisk and stir constantly.
- Pour white sauce over potatoes and meat.
- Sprinkle sharp cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).