Brownie AND Cake
By now, most of you know that I love a good dessert! I was floating around on Pinterest one day and came across a tasty looking cupcake that I just had to try, and make my own twist to it. This recipe is basically a brownie like cake for the bottom layer with cake mix for the next layer, and topped with frosting. The ingredients come from this Brownie Batter + Cupcake recipe on allrecipes.
I found that the specific ingredients used in the brownie batter (and portions) make the brownie more cake-like, which is very fitting in this yummy recipe! I made two cakes for my son’s baptism, and shared it with family. One cake was strawberry cake on top of brownie mixture and the other was a confetti cake on top of brownie. The pictured cake is my confetti cake with confetti sprinkles to match. They were both a big hit – and there were not any leftovers! Here goes it:
- 1 (19.5 ounce) package brownie mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 package white cake mix
- 2 Tbs canola oil
- 1⅓ cups water
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Stir brownie mix, 2 eggs, ½ cup canola oil, and ¼ cup water in a bowl. Just as with any brownie recipe, only stir until fully incorporated. I wouldn't use an electric mixer for the brownie batter. Set aside
- With a mixer, mix 2 tablespoons canola oil, 1⅓ cup water, 3 egg whites and cake mix in a large bowl on low speed until combined. Then mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour brownie batter into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Carefully pour cake batter over the brownie batter. (I almost wonder if it would work to swirl the two with a knife!)
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed - about 20 minutes. You will know it is finished if a toothpick inserted comes out clean. I personally don't mind the brownie batter being a little underdone.
- Top with your favorite frosting and garnish if desired.
This really is the best of both worlds – chocolate brownies and cake + Frosting!!