Sausage Casserole with Summer Veggies
A few nights ago, I was rummaging through my freezer to see what meat I had on hand, for dinner. I came across a bunch of sausage (not the breakfast variety), that needed using up. So, I scoured Pinterest for a recipe worthy of the cause. I came across this Sausage Casserole recipe, inspired by Kayotic Kitchen. Boy was it simple and oh so tasty! Now keep in mind that this dish does use up the oven, which you may not want on a hot summer day, but it is an excellent way to use up some Summer Veggies. You can probably add in whatever vegetables you have on hand from your garden!
Easy Sausage Casserole with Summer Veggies
- 4 sausages (beef or pork)
- 1 pound potatoes
- ½ pound baby carrots, or large carrots that have been peeled and cut
- ½ bell pepper
- 1 large red onion (can use yellow, but I like red best, and it's better for you)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp oil
- black pepper
- 1½ tsp Italian herbs
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Peel the potatoes, wash them and quarter each potato.
- Peel your onion and and cut it into wedges. I think I got about 10-12 wedges out of my large onion.
- Slice bell pepper into strips.
- Place potatoes, onion, bell pepper and carrots in a roasting pan.
- In a bowl, combine the oil with the Italian herbs, grated or chopped garlic, and chicken broth.
- Pour oil mixture over vegetables and toss.
- Season with a generous amount of salt and black pepper.
- Cover the tray with foil and cook for 45 minutes.
- While your vegetables are cooking, brown the sausages. No need to cook them all the way through, just lightly brown them.
- Slice each sausage in half.
- When vegetables are finished cooking, they should be fork tender. If they aren't, pop them back into the oven for a few more minutes.
- Add your halved sausages to the vegetables and pour balsamic vinegar over the top.
- Place baking tray back into the oven and cook for another 15 minutes, uncovered.
- After 15 minutes, flip sausages and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Enjoy the sticky, tasty veggies and sausage!
What specific sausage do you use? Thank you!
It has been a while since I made this recipe so I don’t recall which sausage I used for this post, but any sausage will do. A Johnsonville sausage will work, or you can go with a harder sausage such as Aidells