Meals In a Pinch with Lean Cuisine & a Side of Mandarin Broccoli Salad
Between soccer practice, gymnastics, scouts, work and all of the many errands and chores a mother encounters, coming up with quick and healthy meals can be a bit of a challenge. I know that I definitely get stuck in a rut more times than I’d like to count. Oftentimes, the quick-to-prepare, and often Frozen meals, are not always the healthiest, or the best choice for our family. I recently did a little shopping at Sam’s Club and discovered the 6-pack of Lean Cuisine Asian Flavor meals. The Asian Flavor meals are actually my favorite among the Lean Cuisine dishes.
There are definitely other quick and easy meals that I prepare when I’m feeling overwhelmed, and in a rush. The one thing that is often lacking with those quick meals, is a healthy side. Because I am always struggling with my weight, I really need to eat better and have more balanced meals. I thought – when the kids are eating their quick meal, or maybe when I’m running between places, I could grab a Lean Cuisine, and prepare a healthy side for the entire family to enjoy. So that is what I did!
Among the Lean Cuisine 6-pack of meals, there are 3 different choices, with 2 of each meal. They all looked so tasty and fresh to me, but I decided to go with the Sesame Chicken – always a favorite of mine. I love all of the veggies that the Lean Cuisines have packed into the dishes, and because of the great flavor, I’ll bet my kids would hardly notice them. I thought that mandarin oranges would go well with an asian inspired dish, so I decided to make a Mandarin Broccoli Salad, adapted from Coupon Clipping Cook. It helped to create the perfectly balanced meal, full of goodness! You can find the recipe for the salad, below. You can also view my Google+ Album, which has more photos of my shopping trip and recipe creation.
- 2 heaping cups fresh Broccoli Florets
- ¼ cup chopped Red Onion
- ¼ cup Hormel Real Bacon Bits
- 1 can Mandarin Oranges
- ¼ cup whole Cashews
- For the Dressing:
- 3 Tbs light Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs Juice from the Can of Mandarin Oranges
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- In a medium sized bowl add the broccoli, red onion, Bacon Bits, and cashews.
- Drain the can of mandarin oranges and reserve 1 Tbs of the juice. Set the mandarin oranges aside.
- For the Dressing:
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and the 2 Tbs of fruit juice. Mix until combined.
- Add the rice vinegar and sugar to the bowl with the mayonnaise and mix together.
- Stir the dressing into the salad.
- Once the salad is coated, add the mandarin oranges and carefully mix them into the salad. Be careful not to break up the mandarin oranges.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
“I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Nestle Lean Cuisine #CBias #SocialFabric”