Northern California is getting hit hard with really hot days. I mean, I’m talking 110°, 111°, 112°, 111°, 106°. That is literally my 5 day forecast! I don’t recall ever moving to Arizona. We are not supposed to have these kinds of temps. See, we get a moist heat which I think is more unbearable than a dry heat. Thank goodness we have air conditioning! I digress. My point is that with this kind of weather, who wants to turn the oven on or slave over a stove for an hour? Most definitely not me!
On hot summer days, I enjoy eating lighter and healthier. If I can avoid the oven and stove altogether – fantastic! Some dishes require some light prep on the stove, which I can handle. I’m always racking my brain for light, yet hearty meals that I can feel good about feeding my family. Some days I think I could live off of water, granola and fruit, but my kids wouldn’t be too happy with me about that. These growing kids need sustenance!
I seriously had an amazing meal tonight, thanks to Fresh & Easy! Everytime I shop at Fresh & Easy I am amazed at the quality of their food, and even more shocked that they have so many products made by their own brand “fresh&easy”! I was able to stock up on all kinds of groceries for the house, and put together nearly an entire fresh&easy meal. Even my ground turkey and beef was fresh&easy brand! I put my meat right to work on the stove so I could hurry and get the hot stuff over with! Oh my goodness, I can’t wait to share what I made! Wait for it….
Sweet Potato Tacos a la Foil Packets!!!
Now if you must, you can definitely cook these foil packets for 25 minutes in your oven set to 425°. If you have hot weather or just enjoy grilling, then take these babies to the grill!
This recipe really is superb for any time of year, and the flavor infusion that happens in the foil packets is just Mmm Mmm Good!
I even had company over for dinner and they decided to eat their tacos inside of some whole wheat tortillas I picked up at Fresh & Easy. It was a good way to use up any extra meat too!
Through 7/7/13, be sure to print this Fresh & Easy Coupon before your next shopping trip!
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground red pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained (can use black beans)
- 5 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½" chunks
- 6 tsp butter
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1½ cup shredded cheese
- top with sour cream, salsa, guacamole
- 6 sheets of Reynolds Non-Stick Grill Foil
- Preheat grill on high.
- In a large skillet, brown meat over medium-high heat. Stir in seasonings, tomato sauce, and beans. Set aside.
- Place about ¾ cup sweet potato cubes in the center of each piece. Top with 1 teaspoon of butter and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle chopped spinach over the sweet potatoes, followed by ⅓ cup of taco meat and a sprinkle of cheese. Repeat with remaining 5 pieces of foil and ingredients.
- Bring the two sides up and fold down twice. Then fold in both ends, twice, to seal the packet.
- Grill for 25–30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, and/or guacamole.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.