This post is promoted by Target.
The weather has been absolutely perfect this week, which has been ideal since we have had a couple of large outdoor gatherings. We kicked off the week with a big swim party for the children from church, and we are ending the week with a huge BBQ! Luckily the barbecue was deemed as potluck so I don’t have to worry about feeding 100+ people myself. However, it has gotten me thinking about the grilling essentials. Target has been my go-to store for such occasions, and they have everything needed for a stand-up BBQ. To get you off on the right foot, here is a grilling essentials checklist, to make sure you are prepared for your next BBQ. Plus, it doesn’t hurt to add my yummy Mexican Street Corn Salad recipe to the shindig.
For the saber grill:
- grilling utensils – spatula and tongs
- residential propane tank refill
- scrub brush to clean off any residue from past grilling experiences
- platter to place cooked meats and foods onto when done grilling
For the table (Target’s Up&Up brand has most of these items at great prices):
- plastic utensils
- paper plates
- plastic cups
- pitcher (if not using soda)
- corn on the cob skewers (if desired)
- condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, relish, barbecue sauce)
- hamburger and hotdog buns
- hamburgers and hotdogs
- baked beans
- corn (on the cob, off the cob, in my Mexican Street Corn Salad, etc.)
- fixings for burgers and dogs (lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, cheese, chili if desired)
- fruit salad or skewers
- side dishes of your choice, if accounting for a large group
- desserts to share (if you run out of time to bake – or simply don’t want to, Target has delicious, and festive, desserts by Archer Farms and Market Pantry)
Whether you host guests a lot or not, sometimes we get so busy with cleaning for house guests, and our other errands, that we forget some of the basic essentials. It certainly has happened to me. Luckily Target has it all. There isn’t anything on my list of must-haves for the average grilling party, that Target doesn’t carry. They’ve got us covered, so that’s less time worrying and more time to playing fun summer games and having fun!
Now for a side dish that will impress a crowd. You can use corn on the cob or frozen corn for this yummy Mexican Street Corn Salad. Either way works and it will still be delish.
- 6 -8 ears of fresh corn, or 16oz bag of frozen corn
- 2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese, or feta
- 3 Tbs lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, diced (or serrano) add as much as you like depending on the amount of heat you desire.
- 1/2 of a diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder, or chipotle chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, then add the corn and saute to lightly char. This takes about 8 - 10 min. Be careful to not burn, or over char the kernels.
- In a separate bowl, mix all other ingredients and blend well.
- When corn is done, gently fold into the Mayo/veggie mixture and salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill, then serve cold. Garnish with slices of red pepper, or sliced black olives.
- This can be served as a salad, or a side dish and you can serve as a dip with tortilla chips.
What’s your #TargetRun