This post is sponsored by BabbleBoxx.
Spring cleaning has always gotten a lot of attention, but that’s not the time of year I put the most focus on my house. I am a big decorator and love to celebrate the holidays so of course my favorite time of year is from October through December. I love the weather, smells, eats and especially my decked out home and visits from loved ones. To fully enjoy a beautifully decorated house and holiday houseguests use this fall cleaning checklist to prep for the holidays.
One thing is for sure – I get more unexpected drop-ins during the holidays than any other time of year so that means keeping a clean house. The key to enjoying houseguests and all your seasonal decorations is having a plan to stay on top of the clutter and messes. This checklist should help you do just that and we’ll break it down by room and frequency.
Living Room Cleaning Checklist
Tip: Staying on top of the clutter and organization of your living areas is the key to a tidy and clean looking space. You’ll want to be able to invite guests inside for a visit without feeling ashamed of the messes. I recommend tackling the daily living room cleaning tasks each night before bed so you start the new day fresh. In addition, you may consider adding duct cleaning in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX in your checklist to help improve your home’s indoor air quality.
- Clear the space of clutter.
- Have a set place for remote controls and other daily-use items.
- Straighten throw pillows and blankets. With the cooler weather I like to have throw blankets as an accent piece, which makes the home feel inviting but they also provide warmth and comfort.
- Vacuum carpet and/or rugs.
- Wipe down electronic screens such as TVs and computers.
- Don’t neglect the cleanliness of the throw blankets. For a good clean of your towels, linens and throw blankets, Grab Green is safe and effective while proving to be better for the environment. I love laundry detergent pods because of how quick and easy they are to use, but the Grab Green 3-in-1 Laundry Detergent Pods are also a plastic free laundry detergent made from plant and mineral ingredients. Because these are a 3-in-1 you get a concentrated detergent, stain remover and brightener all in one natural laundry detergent. If you need a laundry booster, the Grab Green Bleach Alternative Pods are perfect for whites & colors. I hate when colors dull or when my white towels start to turn brown after many uses or kids not thoroughly washing their hands before drying. The Bleach Alternative Pods are safer to use because they’re a chlorine free bleach without harsh chemicals. *Save 15% on the entire GrabGreenHome.com website with code EcoGG15. Offer ends 11/30/2021.
If you have a fireplace and a chimney in your property, a professional chimney sweep is recommended to be done in the fall to prepare them for the winter.
Bathroom Cleaning Checklist
Tip: You never know when a houseguest (even if they’re dropping by unexpectedly) will need to use your bathroom. These daily and weekly tasks will have your bathroom ready at a moment’s notice.
- Clear counters and make sure everything is put away in drawers and cabinets.
- Wipe down shower walls and doors while you’re in the shower. A daily spray can help prevent lots of water spots and buildup.
- Give the counters and sink a quick wipe down after your morning routine.
- Give the toilet a good clean, inside and out.
- Clean vanity and mirrors
- Sweep and mop floor
- Empty trash
- Stock the bathroom with toilet paper and provisions.
- Make sure there are clean towels and change the hand towels regularly!
Kitchen Cleaning Checklist
Tip: Take a few minutes after every meal to tackle these simple steps so the buildup never gets overwhelming. Even better if you can get the family to join in on this.
- Clear counters and table of any food, dishes or debris and clutter.
- Spray surfaces and sink with Boulder Cleaner. Be kind to your family by using plant-based all-natural cleaners. Boulder Cleaner is revolutionary with its refillable cleaners and elimination of single-use spray bottles. Reuse the same bottle over and over by dissolving their refill tablets in 28-32 ounces of water. Boulder Cleaner not only smells great, but it’s a multi-surface household cleaner you can feel good about using around your loved ones. *Through November 30, 2021, save 10% off your Boulder Clean Order with code babbleboxx.
- Sweep floors of crumbs and dirt
- Eliminate odors with a good air freshener. I’m loving the Citrus Magic® Fall Spray Air Fresheners, which really bring cozy feelings for the time of year. In addition to the fall scents of Cozy Pumpkin Chai, Crisp Autumn Apple and my favorite, Orange Spice Cider, Citrus Magic® is a naturally derived, citrus-based odor eliminator. Don’t just mask the odors when you can eliminate them! One of the best parts is how long the fragrance lasts without an added chemical smell like some air fresheners have. There are no harsh chemicals, but have a great use of essential oils for those pleasant smells. I recommend the Citrus Magic® variety pack of 3 for $14.99 from Walmart, so you can change them up depending on your mood.
- Do a quick sweep of any old food in the refrigerator. Clear leftovers and make space for holiday meals or goodies.
- Have an easy mop-solution for cleaning up muddy footprints (or pawprints) once a week or more as needed.
- Wipe down stainless steel appliances.
Bedroom Cleaning Checklist
Tip: The biggest way to stay on top of your bedroom is to not let clutter build up on your dresser, nightstands or desks. Make sure everything has its place and once a day, go through and make sure nothing is left out that shouldn’t be.
- Make bed every morning.
- Clear clutter every afternoon/evening so you can feel peace when you go to bed and start your new day unburdened by “stuff” everywhere.
- Vacuum carpets/rugs
- Wash bedding
- Run laundry and try to fold and put away clothing and linens the same day.
Home Exterior Cleaning Checklist
Tip: Rather than a set of daily tasks for your outdoor spaces, some of these steps might be weekly, once to prepare for colder weather, or as needed.
- Clean gutters of leaves and debris to get ready for rainy season. If you have problems with leaves and debris clogging your gutters, you might want to consider installing some gutter guards.
- Put away patio furniture and cushions that might get ruined by tougher weather.
- Pressure wash porches and/or patios to freshen the space from dirt and grime. You can hire residential power washing services like Coast Pro Wash or rent some pressure washer equipment to do this.
- Rake leaves
- Tend to your garden, plants and trees. Get a tree trimming service so your plants will flourish every season. This might also entail any living indoor plants you have. Curb appeal and decor are big for me and for impressing company. Whether you’re a gardening enthusiast or you want to try your hand at succulents, vegetable gardens or house plants, the I Love My Plants book will help you achieve your goals. I Love My Plants is a guided journal for plant lovers of all kinds. Track your gardening progress with growth charts and informative tidbits to help you succeed. If you’re the type of person whose wondered why you can’t keep anything green alive, this book is also for you!
- Check your wells and pumps.
While a big cleaning checklist might seem daunting, each of the daily tasks can be done in no time at all. Share the chores with the family and you’ll have a home you can decorate and feel all the warm and fuzzy holiday feelings without the burden of clutter and dirt.