So first of all, I’m curious if you’ve ever tried making your own laundry detergent?? If you have I’d LOVE to know your thoughts. Did you make the powder kind or the liquid? Did you like it? Did you save a lot of money? Leave comments with your thoughts please.
If you try it please let me know what you think! Powder Laundry Detergent recipes are more common than liquid, so I was excited when a reader shared this liquid laundry detergent recipe.
Lidia’s Liquid Laundry Detergent
plastic stir spoon
large stir stick
5 gal bucket with lid (at Wal-Mart with lid for under $3.00)
1 gal empty water or milk jug
medium size pot
1 cup Borax ($2.49 at Winco)
1 cup Super Washing Soda ($2.49 at Winco)
1 bar of soap your choice (She prefers Fels Naptha found at Winco for $1.29)
**The box of Borax and Super Washing Soda will last close to a year since you are only using 1 cup each for every bucket you make.
1. Fill pot with water about 2 – 3 cups, bring to a gentle boil.
2. While waiting for the water to come to a boil grate the whole bar of soap.
3. Start adding small handfuls of the grated soap to the gently boiled water. Stir until that handful of soap is melted.
4. Continue to add small amounts of soap, making sure it melts before adding more soap, to reduce the chance of clumping.
5. Once the bar of soap is all melted, turn off the stove and set the pot of soapy water aside.
6. Add four gallons of extremely hot tap water into the 5 gallon bucket, (an easy way to fill your buck with four gallons of hot tap water is to take the empty on 1 gallon water or milk jug and fill it with the hot tap water, then add to the bucket), then add one cup Super Washing Soda. Stir for a couple minutes, then add one cup Borax. Stir for a couple minutes then add the super soapy hot water to the 5 gal. bucket and stir for a couple more minutes.
7. Put the lid tightly on the bucket and let sit over night.
*In the morning you will have a 5 gallon bucket full of jello-y looking detergent, just add one cup of detergent to your washing machine.
This recipe does approx. 68 loads of laundry.
This recipe should NOT be used with the newer machines.
Which ever bar of soap you choose to use, that is what the color of your detergent will be.
Liquid fabric softener:
Small bottle of distilled vinegar (under $1.50 @ Winco or Wal-Mart)
optional: 40 – 50 drops of essential oils of your choice found at health food stores. Val recommends the lavender.
It is recommended to buy a small bottle of vinegar for the first use so the bottle could be reused by buying the econo size jug of vinegar ($2.49) and just keeping the small bottled filled at all times for easier use.
Add one cup to the rinse cycle.
****SAFETY NOTE: NEVER use bleach and vinegar together b/c the combo. causes toxic fumes*********
Try the MRS. STEWARTS Concentrated Liquid Bluing instead of bleach for whites. This can be found at Winco for $2.49 for an 8 oz. bottle and is safe to use with the vinegar fabric softener.