When the roll is opened, like the tomb, it is empty.
Empty Tomb Rolls for Easter Sunday
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 pkg active dry yeast
- 3 eggs
- 4 – 4½ cups flour
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- large marshmallows
- Dissolve yeast in the warm water, with a pinch of sugar (to activate).
- Beat in the eggs.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe dish.
- When cooled, add butter to yeast mixture.
- Gradually add the flour, sugar and salt to the mixing bowl, and mix until smooth, or dough climbs up the blade/hook.
- Let rise once, then roll out for empty tomb rolls.
Empty Tomb Rolls:
- Make your favorite dinner roll recipe, roll the dough out flat, then cut into circles.
- Wrap each piece of dough around a large marshmallow making sure dough seals around the marshmallow.
- Brush each roll with melted butter and roll the dough ball in sugar and cinnamon mixture (this step can be omitted), but would make for a great breakfast this way.
- Place each roll in a greased pan and cover pan with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning, remove from refrigerator and let rise until double. If it doesn’t rise much, it will be completely okay.
- Bake at 375° until golden brown – about 15-20 min. If you did not roll the dough in cinnamon and sugar, you can brush a little butter over the tops, while warm.
- When the roll is opened, like the tomb, it is empty.