Gooey Butter Cake
I’m going to tell you upfront that if you do not like sugar and yummy sweet treats, this recipe is not for you! You may have seen different names for this Gooey Butter Cake around the web, such as Chess Squares. They are in fact pretty much the same recipe that take after a Paula Deen recipe. We all know how much she likes to cook with butter!
This past Sunday evening, I was exhausted after having gotten up early to appear on abc News10, and then attended church and taught a lesson to the youth. I had also stayed up late the night before, preparing my Pretzel Bites. My mom, knowing I’d be super tired, made extra dinner for us. I told her I’d bring a treat. Because I was seriously so tired, I was racking my brain and scouring Pinterest to come up with a dessert that would be super easy to make. That’s when I found Gooey Butter Cake!
This recipe is seriously so easy and doesn’t take much effort at all. Usually anything that requires a crust, you think – eh, extra steps….But this one is EASY! I even used the same bowl for everything.
I will warn you that this cake just might put you into a sugar coma because it is super sweet!
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 16-oz box powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer.
- Press mxiture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.
- In the same bowl, beat together cream cheese, eggs and powdered sugar.
- Spread over cake batter crust and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Top should start to turn golden, and center should still be slightly gooey.