Snacking and watching movies are a love for my children. In fact, the two pretty much have to go hand-in-hand, in order for either to work. You see, my kids have a difficult time sitting still for a snack. Too much that they want to do so they snack on the go. Then there is the issue of sitting still during a movie. Even though the kids love going to the movies, sitting still can be a challenge – unless there is a snack! So do you see how the two complement each other well? Without one of these components the other just doesn’t have as high of a success rate.
There is a new family-friendly film coming to theaters on January 17th and the kids are excited! With character voices by WILL ARNETT, BRENDAN FRASER with LIAM NEESON and KATHERINE HEIGL I’m sure The Nut Job will provide us with some laughs and entertainment. My kids sure do love an animated movie with good humor.
The Nut Job is about Surly, a curmudgeon, an independent squirrel who is banished from his park and forced to survive in the city. Lucky for him, he stumbles on the one thing that may be able to save his life, and the rest of park community, as they gear up for winter – Maury’s Nut Store.
Desperately seeking nuts of all varieties for winter, and even being shocked upon learning about candy coated nuts, The Nut job appears to be full of action and fun. You can stay up-to-date with the The Nut Job on Facebook and Twitter, for more fun! Because of all the nut talk, I thought I would get the kids excited for The Nut Job with a Macadamia Puppy Chow inspired by The Nut Job. You see, there is a pretty funny Pug in the film so I thought I would make more of a Puppy Chow instead of a traditional trail mix. As you may have noticed while watching the trailer, it begins with Surly shouting “Holy Macadamia!” So it just made sense to have a Puppy Chow with Macadamia nuts in it!
- 9 cups Rice Chex® cereal
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 19 oz bag of Peanut M&M’s
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup pretzel sticks
- Place cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave in 30 seconds increments, stirring in between, until mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Stir in vanilla and pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Pour mixture and powdered sugar into a large resealable bag and shake until well coated.
- Spread mix onto parchment to cool. When cooled, carefully stir in M&M’s, nuts and pretzel sticks.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
As you prepare to take the family to see The Nut Job IN THEATERS JANUARY 17, give this Macadamia Puppy Chow a try! Not only do I have a recipe for you today, I am also going to offer one Clever Housewife reader a $50 AMC gift card, to help you out with not only your movie snack, but also your movie tickets!! The giveaway will end at 11:59pm PT on 1/17. To enter fill out the form below.