YIKES! Valentine’s Day is on a Saturday this year, which means the bulk of the V-Day festivities rest on me rather than classroom parties. Check out my 10 ideas for Valentine’s Day with your Kids! Comment with your ideas for Valentine’s Saturday fun!
On a typical Valentine’s Day I send my kids to school with a bag of Valentines, a few goodies for the classroom and call it good! I try to plan a fun dinner and dessert, but I leave most of the festivities for the classroom parties.
This year however, Valentine’s Day is on a SATURDAY… which makes me feel as though I really need to up my “v-day” game to help me kids feel like it is a special day. After doing some brainstorming and Internet surfing over the past few days, I came up with some ideas for a fun filled Valentine’s Saturday. If you are looking for some fun ways to make your kiddos feel loved this v-day, this post will make your heart happy!
1. Tug on my heart strings– this is a fun way to let your kids feel the love from the moment they wake up! Easy and totally memorable. Check out how here!
2. Hearty Brunch:
Who doesn’t love a lazy Saturday brunch…of-course with PJ attire encouraged!! I’m planning to cook some yummy french toast (recipe here) cut into heart shapes using a large heart cookie cutter, and topped with some of this delicious fruit salsa. I also plan to serve chocolate milk, V-day style, check out how here
3. Sweethearts at Sunrise– If you have ever gone out to eat on Valentine’s Day you know the restaurants are usually packed! If you have your heart set on eating out on v-day how about getting your sweethearts up early for a breakfast date? Get your little loves up before dawn and get huddled up in the car in your PJs and blankets. Find a great spot to pull over watch the sunrise huddled together in the car. After that, head to your favorite donut shop or breakfast place and beat the crowds as you enjoy a meal together!
4. Lowes Build & Grow- Let your kids pound away until their hearts are content at this free Lowes Workshop. This Saturday (2/14/15) kids can visit Lowes to build a Valentine’s themed “sweetheart picture frame”. Space is limited and pre-registration is required, so be sure to visit the Lowes Build and Grow website to sign up today!
5. Love-ly day out– Use Valentine’s Day as a fun excuse to enjoy an outing you have been wanting to do with the kids like the zoo, bowling, roller skating or a children’s museum. Check out how to enjoy a fun day out without breaking the bank, by using Groupon and find some fun ways to “wrap” a voucher making your fun day out a special Valentine gift for the kids!
6. Craft it Up– Feeling artsy? Check out this adorable and kid friendly heart balloon craft that you can all do together this Valentine’s Day. Not only will it be a fun way to get crafty together, but it can also be saved as a cool decoration for years to come.
7. Valentine’s Dance Party– Nothing says Valentine’s Day quite like a little dancing! Invite a few of your kids’ friends over for a “Just Dance” dance party! No DJ required… Just throw on the latest Just Dance 2015 game for hours of dancing fun! Be sure to serve some fun Valentine’s Snacks like this pink Cranberry Pineapple Punch and hot chocolate popcorn with some red and pink m&ms added for effect!
8. Heart Breaker Pizza- Papa Murphy’s has their “heart-breaker” heart-shaped pizza on sale this weekend for a fun, festive (and easy) v-day dinner! Your kids will love it, and clean up will be a snap (happy Valentine’s Day to you)!
9. At-Home Restaurant: let your kids have fun putting together a fancy Valentine’s Day dinner for the family. They will love getting to help out in the kitchen and might even get creative making restaurant menus and acting like waiters and waitresses. Check out this yummy and fancy Valentine’s dinner of heart shaped chicken Parmesan and tres leches cake that your kids can totally get involved cooking. Plus check out some tips on easy ways to get kids involved in the kitchen here.
10. Movie Date Night- I don’t think there are many things that bring me as much happiness as just being cuddled up on the couch with all of my loves. This Valentine’s Day enjoy a family movie date night on the couch. Let everyone get in their coziest clothes, grab their favorite blankets and pillows and get ready for some couch cuddle time! Be sure to pick up one of the newly released movies that they have been looking forward to seeing like “The Boxtrolls” and have plenty of yummy movie snacks ready like this delicious caramel popcorn…recipe here!
Don’t fear the “Saturday Valentine’s Day”! Make it a day to remember by sharing the love with your family this year…After all, it only happens every 7 years (plus or minus accounting for leap years)!
Do you have any “Saturday Valentine” ideas of your own? I would LOVE to hear them (I’m still trying to figure out exactly what to do with the kids)! Share the love and share your ideas in the comments below!