There is something extremely frustrating about spending hundreds of dollars on our wardrobe, only to have items last for one or two wears. I personally like to get the most out of my wardrobe, including changing up each piece for different looks. Clothes wear out, get stained, fade, shrink, and the list goes on. To help you get the most out of your wardrobe, here are 10 laundry tips to make your clothes last longer.
1. Wash clothes with a teaspoon of salt to prevent color fading, or bleeding.
2. Read clothing labels and detergent labels to make sure you are washing everything in the proper water temperature. Some clothes need cold water, while others require hot. The same goes for detergents.
3. Take care to use effective laundry detergents such as method’s new 4x concentrated laundry detergent. I have always loved method cleaning products, and this new detergent is fantastic for tough dirt and stains. It also keeps whites white, and colors bright.
4. Sort laundry, not only based on washing temperatures, but based on fabrics. It might not be wise to wash delicate blouses (which might snag easily) with tough denim jeans, or zippered jackets.
5, Pre-treat tough looking stains with a stain remover. The new method 4x concentrated laundry detergent also works as a stain remover. Simply apply a small amount on the stain, and allow it to sit, before washing.
6. Don’t dry delicate blouses or sweaters in the dryer. There may be other fabrics prone to shrinking, so be sure to read the clothing labels to see if you need to hang dry. Sweaters preserve their shape best when laid flat to dry.
7. Clean your washing machine regularly. Follow the instructions on your particular washing machine. Dirty machines won’t get dirty clothes clean.
8. Avoid using high heat in the dryer. Heat can set stains, and can wear some fabrics out more quickly.
9. Try using dryer balls instead of dryer sheets. This is more cost effective and can also save your clothes from wearing thin.
10. Pay attention to how you hang or store your clothes. Some hangers may cause blouses to stretch out and become misshapen. Wire hangers sometimes leave marks in the shoulders of some blouses, and hanging sweaters can stretch them out.
Try to save yourself the hassle of purchasing clothes more often than you’d like, by protecting your wardrobe. You can also save on your wardrobe when you use the code THREEFORME for $3 off your online purchase of method cleaning products. You can also check out the method ASOS collection for style ideas and more.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.