The past couple of days (make that weeks) have nearly been unbearable when it comes to the weather. I really do not enjoy triple digit temperatures, and I dislike slaving over a hot stove or oven, in those temps. So, I have been working up new recipes every day this week, that don’t require making the house hotter. Because I already use and love Tasteful Selections Potatoes, they’ve asked me to concoct a recipe for these tasty little tots. I decided to put the two tasks together: no oven or stove, plus a yummy potato recipe that the whole family would eat. That’s where my Hamburger and Potato Foil Packets on the grill come in.
I have previously expressed a love for foil packets on the grill, and now I’ve got my husband to share his family recipes with me (and you). Lucky us! I decided to see his Hamburger and Potato foil packet and raise it some chopped bacon. Oh yeah, deliciousness is happening over here. Hopefully coming to your house soon, too!
As with most foil dinners, you can add or change add-ins, but there are three key ingredients to make this dinner really work. The extras I tell you about will just enhance the flavor and make it even more tasty. If you have picky eaters in your house, then just stick with the basics.
First up (other than heavy duty foil, of course), is a good quality hamburger patty. I recommend using a lean ground beef, and form your own patties. You can season if you’d like. My husband’s family raises cows, so we get seriously good beef. Do what you can. You will need one patty per packet.
Next up are the potatoes. I have my favorite, and can’t recommend them enough. Tasteful Selections honey gold potatoes come in small bags so you don’t have to worry about the potatoes spoiling before using. I have that problem if I buy 10 lb bags of potatoes – please tell me I’m not the only one. Even better is that these small potatoes come pre-washed, and the skin is so soft and tender that even the kids eat it! Slice, or dice up the potatoes, depending on your preference.
The third ingredient is cream of mushroom soup. You can also use chicken if you really can’t stand mushroom. Now, grab the recipe below, to learn how to make these delightful packets of yum, that will save you and your kitchen on a hot day!
Because these packets are so easy to throw together, and the grill does the cooking, you have more time to spend enjoying your loved ones. For starters, I often let me kids help make their own foil dinner, which they love to do. Tasteful Selections is campaigning for #RescuedMoments this summer, to help women rescue moments and spend more quality time with loved ones with delicious time-saving recipes and tips. I think this recipe does just that! Be sure to show us your #RescuedMoments on Instagram and Twitter, and tag #cleverhousewife while you’re at it, so I can see what you’re up to.
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
- 1 lb ground beef, quartered into 4 patties
- 1/2 bag of Tasteful Selections honey gold potatoes, sliced
- 1/2 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat grill to 375°.
- Start with 4 large pieces of foil, and lay out across the counter - ready to fill.
- Place one slice of onion on the center of foil and top with hamburger patty.
- Finish foil packets by covering beef with 1/4 of the potato slices, a small handful of red bell peppers, a spoonful of soup and 1 slice of crumbled bacon.
- Bring two sides of foil up to meet in the center, and roll down, leaving a little bit of air between the food and the foil. Roll in the sides, and you're ready to grill.
- Repeat with remaining packets.
- Cook over hot grill, or coals, for 7-8 minutes per side. Meat should be cooked, and potatoes tender after about 15 minutes of cooking. Check one packet, and return to grill if beef is pink, or potatoes aren't soft.
- Remove and handle carefully before serving.