Tired of running a load of laundry and coming out with clothes that still look dingy, and have a mildew odor to them? Since switching to a front load washing machine, this is a problem I frequently face. My husband gets super frustrated when he goes to put on his undergarments and they don’t smell fresh. I really can’t blame him. So, with the help of my partners at Clorox®, I’d like to give you some tips to freshen and brighten laundry.
1. First, separate colors. I personally like to separate into the following categories: jeans, darks, whites, towels, linens.
2. Use the proper amount of detergent. If washing a large load (I frequently am), you may need twice as much detergent. Read the instructions carefully, as detergent pods often require two for large loads. I accidentally overlooked this and used 1 for a long time, and that was part of my problem.
3. For colored laundry, try Clorox 2® Stain Remover & Color Booster Liquid, as this is non-chlorinated. This can help brighten your colors. To brighten whites, which happens to be my trouble area, Clorox has a variety of products to help*. My favorites are: Clorox Regular-Bleach, Clorox Control Bleach Crystals, Clorox Control Bleach Packs and Clorox Oxi Max Radiant White. Each of these products basically serve the same purpose, but in a form that is convenient for you.
The crystals and bleach packs help keep the bleach contained and from splashing or spilling on items you don’t want bleached. I personally love the Control Bleach Packs, as I can toss them in my load of whites, with my detergent pods. Super easy!
4. While bleach can help get rid of any odors, you can also try an adding vinegar to the load. 1/2 cup or 1 full cup to large loads, added right with the wash will do the trick.
5. Drying clothes on low heat can help prevent that mildew smell.
6. Clean your washing machine on a regular basis. I have found that with my front-loader, gunk and mildew can build up in the rubber gasket, if I don’t clean it out regularly. Clorox also has a Washing Machine Cleaner that works like a charm. Fresh laundry starts with a fresh machine.
There you have it, between products that work like a charm, a few housekeeping tips and the determination to stay on top of that clean laundry smell, and look, you’ll have fresh laundry in no time at all!
*Like all household chemicals, bleach should always be handled with care and kept out of the reach of children and pets. If you think a child has been exposed to one of these products, call your local poison center at 1-800-222-1222 immediately.