I am starting to realize that this time of year is a tad stressful for me. That might actually be an understatement. I LOVE LOVE LOVE fall and decorating, and eating fall treats and warm comfort foods, but that transition from summer to fall is a difficult one. We are so busy and everyone is going in a different direction it seems. I get excited for the cool days, but then get a little down when we revert back to hot days before we officially hit fall. To cheer me up I’ve come up with another easy one skillet meal, but this one screams fall to me. Enter my Creamy Risotto and Chicken Skillet.
Risotto is one of those dishes that some people shy away from for fear of ruining it. To get truly excellent risotto requires time and patience, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with my shortcut method that gives the family some creamy goodness on a busy weeknight. Topped with super tender, and juicy chicken thighs, dinner will be all about comfort.
There are three ingredients that really make this dish stand out, and then just a few more for added flavor and to make the cooking happen correctly. You will need chicken thighs, Bertolli® Mushroom Alfredo sauce and Risotto (aka arborio rice). Right now is the perfect time to get cooking with Italian-inspired dishes because Kroger is sponsoring the ‘Taste of Italy’ program in stores from September 23rd through October 11th. Bertolli® has some new Taste of Italy® sauces, sold in Kroger stores. Stop on in for some new inspiration.
Bertolli® provides a Tuscan-inspired sauce great for both giving a twist to a classic dish or for trying new recipes that you or your friends haven’t attempted yet. I start this one-dish meal off with a nice drizzle of Bertolli® Olive Oil in a hot pan, and fry up the lemon-pepper seasoned chicken. Then remove the chicken to get the rice started. It gets finished off in the oven, all in the same skillet. I love when dinner doesn’t create a bunch of dishes for me.
- Drizzle of Bertolli Olive Oil
- 6 chicken thighs, with skin and bone
- lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 jar Bertolli Mushroom Alfredo sauce (12 oz)
- While oven is preheating to 350°, prepare chicken thighs.
- Sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning on both sides of thighs. Then fry in a drizzle of olive oil, over medium heat. Use an oven-safe skillet for this.
- To fry chicken, cook for 5 minutes with the fatty side down, then flip and cook for another 3 minutes, now at medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken onto a plate and wipe out the pan with a paper towel. Leaving hot oil for the rice will only create pieces of char in the risotto.
- Melt butter in the same pan, at medium-high heat.
- Add rice and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and alfredo sauce and bring to a simmer. Stir and top rice with chicken pieces.
- Place a lid on the pan and cook in oven for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for 10 more minutes before removing from the oven.
- If risotto needs it, remove chicken pieces and give the rice a stir to incorporate juices. Return chicken to the pan and serve.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bertolli®. The opinions and text are all mine.