Holiday M&M’s® Brand Minis Whoopie Pies
Created by: Emily Buys, Clever Housewife
I just love it when two of my favorite things come together in a well-blended gastronomical treat. And to make it even better, these two things are semi-new to me. We all know and love M&M’s® Brand Minis – they’re a chocolate lover’s dream. They are a favorite of just about everyone. There’s nothing better than a handful of those delicious little treats to satisfy your chocolate craving…well, other than a bag of M&M’s® Brand Minis to add to my Whoopie Pie recipe to make it fabulous! I’m not sure when M&M’s® Brand Minis first came on the scene. I know you could buy them in the small tube, but now they’re available in a convenient 12-ounce bag, which is perfect for baking.
And now for the second new fave of mine: Whoopie Pies. Where has this deliciousness been all my life? I think Whoopie Pies are a favorite in parts of the country where I don’t live, so I’ve been missing out. On a recent trip east, I found you can buy Whoopie Pies at any convenience store! And now that I know about them, they are happening here. The holidays are a perfect time to introduce my family and friends to this pairing of two new favorite treats: M&M’s® Brand Minis and Whoopie Pies.
I decided to forego blending the M&M’s® Brand Minis into my Whoopie Pie batter, but chose to feature them right there on the outside, so you know just what goodness you’re getting into. Whoopie Pie cookie, creamy frosting filling and M&M’s® Brand Minis right on the outer edge of the creamy pie filling. Bam! Whoopie Pie heaven. It’s so festive, your friends will feel so special and want to dig right into this new level of scrumptious.
All of the M&M’s® Brand Minis Whoopie Pie ingredients, along with holiday decorations, can be found at your local Kroger store. Here is what I came up with to create a simple holiday presentation of your M&M’s® Brand Minis Whoopie Pies. Find a clear vase – you probably have one kicking around somewhere – add some mini ornaments and top it off with a clear plate. You can easily add some greenery, ribbons and a colorful place mat.
I’m thinking the next time I have to take cupcakes to a function, it’s going to be my M&M’s® Brand Minis Whoopie Pies. No muss, no fuss and no messy cupcake wrappers with accompanying crumbs. The ones I just created are a big handful, so you might consider making them smaller for little hands.
Cook time: 8 minutes | Prep time: 10 minutes | Serves: 16
- 1 box (about 16 oz.) chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- ½ cup M&M’s® Brand Minis
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, water and canola oil. Mix at medium-high speed for 2 minutes, occasionally scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop large dollops of batter onto the lined baking sheet. Bake for 7-8 minutes.
4. While Whoopie Pies are cooling, prepare the filling. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, almond extract and milk until the consistency becomes smooth and thick like icing. It may take more or less milk, but start with 1 tablespoon at a time.
5. Using a piping bag or plastic storage bag, pipe icing onto one side of one Whoopie Pie cookie. Make sure there is enough icing to slightly squeeze out the sides when another cookie is placed on top. Add the top cookie and roll it in a bowl of M&M’s® Brand Minis. Repeat until all the cookies are used.