I’ve spent more time in the past 6 months driving through the agricultural area of which I live, and taking notice of it’s beauty. I don’t know if it is because I married a country boy, or because I have found it brings me immense happiness to open my eyes to all that surrounds me, but I have found farming to be a beautiful thing. It is spring, and where I live, there are many corners with strawberry stands. Fresh strawberries, picked right from the field, and sold on the corner right next to it, are just the best. I thought I would celebrate the return of the corner farmers, and their delicious strawberries with a Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting.
Now, I am a firm believer in saving time in the kitchen. I am a busy mom of 4, and we have a lot going on. So why not let Pillsbury help out in the kitchen, with their easy and flavorful cake mixes? I’m going to teach you how I turn a Pillsbury Strawberry Cake Mix into something that guests, friends, and family will rave about!
Pillsbury cake mixes are so good on their own, and when you add just a couple of special touches, everyone will think you baked your cake from scratch! You’ll save time, and everyone will be happy! For this strawberry cake, simply swap the water for milk, swap the oil for butter, and add an extra egg yolk and some fresh strawberries. You’ll be amazed at the results.
I have previously shared one of my favorite buttercream frosting recipes with you, but because we are celebrating fresh strawberries, we are going to bump that recipe up a notch with Strawberries. YUM! It’s so easy, too – simply add 2-3 Tbs of pureed strawberries to the already fabulous buttercream recipe.
If you want an easy frosting, without the mess of making homemade, then go ahead and try the new Pillsbury Strawberry Marshmallow Frosting. The kids love it! For added flavor, you could even try mixing in the pureed strawberries. Pillsbury is so great for any occasion, and if you stick with me, I’ll show you how to wow the family with their products.
- Pillsbury Strawberry Cake Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 stick butter
- 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup strawberries, finely diced
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbs milk
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2-3 Tbs pureed strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine cake mix, milk, butter and eggs in a mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until well combined, then stir in strawberries.
- Pour batter into greased baking pans and bake according to baking times on package.
- Allow cake to cool after baking, and frost with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, almond extract and milk until the consistency becomes smooth and thick like icing. It may take more or less milk, but start with 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Stir in pureed strawberries. You may need more powdered sugar if consistency is runny. Refrigerate to set up, if needed.
- Frost cooled cake and serve.