As a mom who is in the middle of school basketball season, scouts, church activities and dance, I’m all about quick and easy meals so we can still sit down and have dinner as a family. With the big football game coming up this weekend, I’ve been playing with easy meals that also double as finger food! I love when the meal is easy to prepare, and the dishes are almost non-existent. My Easy Chicken Taco Cups accomplish both of these goals, and make for an excellent game day recipe!
I’ve recently been introduced to CHI-CHI’S Mexican Foods, which offers a wide variety of authentic salsas, tortillas and chips. My family goes through chips, salsa and salsa con queso like nobody’s business so it’s nice to have a brand that makes it all. I have one son who is a tortilla connoisseur, so we’re always testing out different tortillas to find one we love. We’ve found CHI-CHI’S tortillas are great for our homemade taco cups.
You could go with regular ol’ tacos for your game day munching, but I like the taco cups because they’re cuter, and smaller so you could opt to eat multiple, or toss them on a plate with a variety of other good eats. I’m a girl who likes to have options, and highly recommend leaving room on your plate for chips and salsa, as part of CHI-CHI’S Salsabration! I’m also a fan of soft flour tortillas, and with the cups you get a little bit of softness on the bottom (without them being soggy), and a nice crisp up top. Plus, the flavor is just so good!
I use CHI-CHI’S Salsa Verde to mix in with my chicken, but you could also use a Thick and Chunky Salsa, or whatever you’d like for flavor. Ground beef or turkey also works if you want to go that route. CHI-CHI’S allows you to make the Mexican food you love the way you love it—at home, and we eat a lot of Mexican food!
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Jar of CHI-CHI'S Salsa Verde
- 6 tortillas
- 1/2 cup cheese
- 1 Tbs melted butter
- guacamole and sour cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 375° and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a skillet, saute diced chicken in olive oil. Season with cumin, chili powder and salt. Add salsa verde after chicken is cooked through.
- Prepare tortillas by cutting the rounded edges off, creating a square. Then cut into 4 squares per tortilla.
- Tuck one tortilla square down into each muffin tin and fill with 1-2 Tbs of chicken mixture. Top with a teaspoon of cheese. Repeat with each cup.
- Tuck remaining tortilla squares over down over the top of the chicken mixture and repeat the process. Fill with remaining chicken and top with cheese.
- Using a pastry brush, coat the tortilla pieces that are sticking out of the tin, with melted butter. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until tortillas turn golden.
- Top with sour cream and guacamole and serve.