Just before Christmas I started hearing buzz about the Instant Pot. I didn’t quite understand what it was or how it worked, so I ignored it. Then my mom got one and told me I needed one! I tend to trust my mom when she tells me I really need something, and after she told me how quickly and easily she could cook dinner with the Instant Pot, I was quick to believe. Our Instant Pot Shepherd’s Pie would have to wait because although I put the Instant Pot on my Christmas wish list, it didn’t quite make it under the tree.
Because I wanted to wait for a good deal, I kept putting off purchasing the Instant Pot. After multiple uses and her constant surprise at it’s ability to make dinner a breeze, my mom continued to press me to get one. “It would be great to create Instant Pot recipes for the blog,” she would say. I finally caved and purchased this 6-Qt Instant Pot, which is a programmable electric pressure cooker – in case it’s new to you too! Plus, it happens to be on sale right now, and it’s got great reviews! I can’t recommend it enough – it will change your life! I’ll be mostly more tried and true recipes too.
I’ve had my Instant Pot for a couple of weeks now and it is my new favorite kitchen appliance! I am continually amazed at what it can do. Get this – aside from the time it takes to get up to pressure, this bad boy can cook FROZEN chicken breasts in just 10 minutes! Perhaps a recipe for another time? Let me know if it’s one you need me to share. In the meantime, I want to share one of our family’s new favorite recipes, for Instant pot Shepherd’s Pie. I grew up on Shepherd’s Pie so I just had to put my favorite appliance to the test, to see if I could create an oldie but goodie with less dirty dishes and in less time. If the taste could compete then even better!
Shepherd’s Pie has a few components – the meat, vegetable and the mashed potatoes. After all of those things get cooked, the casserole gets assembled and cooked some more. There are typically several dirty dishes involved, but not with this recipe! Everything gets cooked IN the Instant Pot, and in under 30 minutes!! I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as we do!
- 4-6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups water, divided
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp beef bouillon
- 3 Tbs flour
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese
- Toss potatoes, 1 cup water, and 1 teaspoon of salt in the Instant Pot. Cook on manual (high) for 8 minutes. Drain cooked potatoes and transfer to a mixing bowl where you will add the egg, garlic salt and butter, and mix with a hand mixer. Cover with foil or lid while the meat is prepared.
- Add ground beef to the empty Instant Pot and sauté for approximately 5 minutes - just until meat begins to brown. Add onions, frozen peas and remaining salt and pepper. Continue cooking until meat is completely cooked.
- In a small bowl, mix bouillon and flour into the remaining cup of water. Pour over meat mixture in the Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Top the meat and veggie mixture with the prepared mashed potatoes and smooth over the top. Cook on manual (high) for 10 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure and top with shredded cheese. Allow to sit for a few minutes so cheese can begin to melt, and serve.
- Can use more or less potatoes, depending on how much of the mashed potato layer you want, and how big your potatoes are. It never hurts to have leftover mashed potatoes either!