“General Mills has sponsored this post, but the opinions are my own.”
The holidays are over and even though they’re a lot of work, I’m a bit sad about it. I love having my house decorated so as soon as I took my Christmas decor down, I whipped out my Valentine’s Day decorations! Premature? I think not – it makes me happy! One thing we’ve been struggling with since our holiday break ended is getting the kids back into the swing of school. I’ve decided to put some tasty treats in my arsenal as a reward for completing homework in a timely manner. My Lucky Ice Cream Sandwiches are sure to delight, and hopefully inspire the kids during the second half of the school year.
General Mills Cereals totally gets the real mom struggle we have with helping our kids be great students after winter break, so they’ve come out with some new cereals to help everyone start their day. Whether you are feeding your kids a mind-awakening breakfast to get their day going, or you’re rewarding them with something yummy in the afternoon, these new cereals will please the taste buds. While shopping at Walmart, choose from one of the following new flavors:
- Lucky Charms Frosted Flakes
- Banana Nut Cheerios
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerios
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Shreds
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Shreds
Each of the new General Mills Cereals would make for great ice cream sandwiches! Because the whole family loves Lucky Charms and Frosted Flakes, we loved the idea of marrying the two, and creating a “lucky” treat that will hopefully help the kids be lucky in school.
I’m not above rewarding good behavior with homemade treats, especially when I’m tired of nagging for hours on end, for my twins to get their homework done. Yes – sometimes it’s hours of nagging, and yes, it’s usually the twins I’m nagging! A goal of mine this year is to reduce the nagging because it’s really not great for anyone, especially me! So, I’m getting ahead of the nagging by giving the kids a gentle reminder in the morning that their afternoon snack might be a nice surprise if they play their cards right. A little homemade incentive never hurt anyone, right?
So far, my gentle reminders and the thoughtfulness to prepare something extra special for the kids seems to be doing the trick. Per the usual when it comes to parenting, I have to change up my tactics every so often, just to keep things fresh and fun for the kids. This is one tactic the kids aren’t complaining about!
- 5 Tbs butter
- 16 oz large marshmallows
- 8 cups Lucky Charms Frosted Flakes cereal
- 2 2/3 cups vanilla ice cream
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, stir in marshmallows. Continue stirring until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Turn off the heat and stir in cereal. Immediately pour out onto a greased jelly roll pan - approximately 1/4-inch thick. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut circles (or any shape) out of cereal mixture. Place 1/3 cup scoop of ice cream onto one of the shapes, and top with another shape. Serve immediately.