Super Bowl Pork Sliders and Apple Slaw
I thought some of you may be in need of some last minute Super Bowl recipes, so I’ve got just the thing. This one you can start early and let your meat get cooking. I’ve got some delicious Pork Sliders and Apple Slaw, which I spotted in the Raley’s Relish magazine. If you haven’t already, be sure to check out the Ancho Chili Chocolate Bread Pudding recipe that I posted Friday. First the Pork Sliders recipe:
Pork Sliders – Also Known as Jurassic Pork Apple Sliders
4 lbs boneless pork loin roast, cut into 2-inch chunks
2 Tbs oil
2 large onions
1 (18-oz.) bottle Guy Fieri Carolina Barbecue Sauce (Just beware that vinegar is pretty apparent in this BBQ sauce, but still very tasty)
1/2 cup apple jelly
24 King’s Hawaiian Rolls – or any roll will do (The King’s Hawaiian Rolls are Sooo tasty with this, but they do get soggy).
1. Cook pork in hot oil, in a large skillet, until well browned on all sides.
2. Transfer Pork to a slow cooker and stir in onions, barbecue sauce and jelly. (My kids LOVE using apple jelly on their sandwiches, which was a surprise to me. Just thought I’d let you know.)
3. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or on LOW for 10 hours, or until meat is very tender. Shred using 2 forks.
4. Spoon meat onto rolls and serve with Apple Slaw – recipe below.
Apple Slaw – also known as Slawshank Redemption
3 Tbs light mayonnaise
3 Tbs light sour cream
3 Tbs cider vinegar
3 Tbs apple jelly
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 (16-oz.) package Fresh Express 3 Color Deli Coleslaw
1 large apple, cored and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup minced red onion
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar and apple jelly in a medium bowl.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients. Best if served within 4 hours of preparing.
*I was completely in love with this meal – especially this simply, tasty slaw!! Next time I do think I will use a different BBQ sauce on the pork, so it’s not quite so strong.