Today’s recipe is going to be a new family favorite! This Crock Pot Creamed Corn & Ham Casserole (topped with Bacon and Breadcrumbs – that has to be mentioned!) was inspired by a Jalapeno Creamed Corn recipe that was spotted on the BlogHer website. However, we decided to turn it into the main course!
My mom took care of dinner tonight since I had boy scouts with my oldest. She changed this recipe up and turned it into a main dish, and it did not disappoint. A couple of bites into dinner, my oldest son said “this is really good!” Of course – it is topped with bacon, so why wouldn’t it be? I know that Crock Pot recipes (aka Slow Cooker) are a huge hit with you all, so I just had to share! I didn’t have my nice camera with me tonight so the pictures are less than perfect.
Although this recipe calls for jalapenos, don’t be fooled into thinking this is a spicy dish. I promise that if this dish was spicy, my dad would not have eaten it!
- 2 16 oz bags frozen Petite White Corn
- 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups diced ham (I used leftovers from Easter Dinner)
- Spray crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Empty the bags of corn into crockpot along with cream cheese, butter, jalapenos and ham. Cover and let cook on high for ½ hour or until butter and cream cheese have melted.
- Stir in the grated cheese, cover and continue cooking on high for 2 hours.
- ½ hour before you’re ready to serve, top with breadcrumb mixture and bacon crumbles (see below), cover and turn to low for that last ½ hour. Serve and enjoy the raves.
- Cook 4 strips of bacon in a skillet until crisp. Let drain on a paper towel.
- Melt 2 Tbs butter in microwave.
- Tear up 3 slices of bread into small crumbs. Pour melted butter over crumbs and stir to coat.
- Spread the crumbs over the corn mixture in the crockpot, then top with crumbled bacon. Continue cooking in crockpot for ½ hour.