For the past few years, my mom and I have been making a bunny cake for Easter. No, this bunny cake does not involve actual bunnies, but is a delicious and adorable treat for dessert, after our big Easter dinner. The nice thing about the Homemade bunny cake is that you can change up the cake mix every year! We often use a boxed cake mix, but my mom had several bananas that needed to be used up, so we had a very delicious Homemade Banana Bunny Cake. The cake was a huge hit!!
First you need to bake your cake in two round pans. Here is the Banana Cake recipe:
- ⅔ cup butter
- 1⅔ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup buttermilk (just add 1 Tbs of vinegar to regular milk to sour)
- 1 ¼ cup fully ripe mashed bananas (I used 4 bananas, but 3 will work)
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cup flour
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- In mixer, cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the bananas (I just put them in whole and beat them in well), but you can mash them first.
- Add half of the buttermilk and the eggs, and combine.
- Stir all of the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and gradually add to the creamed mixture, alternately with the
- remaining buttermilk. If desired, add ⅔ cup chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into 2 two greased & floured 8” or 9” round pans.
- Bake at 350° for about 35 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly, then remove from pans and cool on rack or clean dishtowel.
*Sometimes, freezing the cakes for a day or so and then thawing, will make them easier to frost.
Leave one of the cakes round, and cut the other one up to create a bowtie and two ears, for your bunny. You will only need to make two cuts to accomplish this. Cut into approximately 1/3 of the cake, with an arch. Do the same cut on both sides for your bunny ears, and the center will be left for the bowtie. Do get a good idea of what I mean, take a look at the bunny’s bowtie – that is the center of the second round cake. You will also want to cut a small crescent shape out of each year, so the ears fit nicely against the bunny’s head.
Now you are ready to frost your cake. Use any frosting recipe of your choice, but if you are making the banana cake, I would recommend a cream cheese frosting! You can even use canned if that is what you have time for.
Frost all tops and sides of the bunny with a white frosting. Then decorate! We used jelly beans for the eyes and nose, and a black gel for the whiskers and eyelashes.
To get the bunny’s ears looking cute and pink, we dyed coconut pink and placed on the ear.
- Empty Tomb Rolls: Perfect For Easter (cleverhousewife.com)
- $.50 off Sister Schubert’s Homemade Rolls (cleverhousewife.com)