Cream Cheese Brownies
Last week I asked my facebook fans whether or not I should make Cream Cheese Brownies or Rocky Road Brownies. So many said I should make both, so I did! Both brownies were so absolutely delicious that I couldn’t pick a favorite. I had everyone who tried them, to vote on their favorite, and it was about 60/40, with the Cream Cheese Brownies barely taking the lead. This recipe is for the Cream Cheese Brownies, inspired by BrownEyedBaker. I will have the Rocky Road Brownies recipe up soon. I realize my photo looks like the batter is not cooked all the way, but I assure you they did not taste undercooked. Mmmmm
- Brownie mix to make a 9×13 pan, or thick 8×8 pan
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 pieces of foil
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Line an 8×8 dish with a piece of foil. Cut foil long enough to come all the way up the sides of the dish. Lay second piece of foil over the first, laying perpendicular to the first. Be sure the second piece also comes up the sides of the dish.
- Prepare brownie batter per the instructions on package. You can also make homemade brownies if you have a favorite recipe.
- Make cream cheese filling by beating the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk in a small bowl, until evenly blended.
- Pour half of the brownie batter into the prepared pan, spreading it into an even layer.
- Drop half of the cream cheese mixture by spoonfuls, over the batter. Repeat, layering the remaining brownie batter and cream cheese filling.
- Use a butter knife to swirl the brownie batter and cream cheese filling, creating a marbled effect. Be gentle you don’t mix the two.
- Bake until the edges of the brownies have puffed slightly, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean – approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Cool the brownies in the pan, on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove brownies from the pan, by lifting on the foil handles. Place brownies, in foil, on the wire rack and cool to room temperature.
- Cut and serve, or refrigerate until chilled, and then cut and serve.