Tropical Cookies with Macadamia Nuts & Vanilla Chips – Gluten Free & Vegan
Just yesterday I shared with you some amazing products by Shiloh Farms. In addition to the yummy Tropical Quinoa Salad, I whipped up a batch of Gluten Free & Vegan Cookies: Tropical Cookies with Macadamia Nuts & Vanilla Chips. For this recipe, I used the Shiloh Farms flax seeds, coconut sugar, and coconut flour. This was my first time cooking with coconut sugar and flour, and I was very pleased with the results. These products just taste so wholesome!
When I stay away from gluten, I start missing baked goods; especially cookies. One of the drawbacks to eating store bought gluten-free cookies is that they are often lower in fiber than their counterparts. That is why I chose to substitute eggs for flaxseeds soaked in water, for my Tropical Cookies with Macadamia Nuts & Vanilla Chips. Flaxseeds are also rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an essential fatty acid that is beneficial for treating a variety of health conditions.
My 5 year old tested the cookies when she got home from Kindergarten and said she liked them too! These cookies are not as sweet as some other cookies, but the honey/agave nectar help.
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup softened coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup vanilla chips
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Process flax seeds in a blender to a fine meal, add liquid and stir until thick and gelatinous (equivalent to 2 eggs).
- Mix coconut flour, rice flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the sugar, coconut oil, flax seed mixture, lime peel, lime juice, and honey. Mix in flour mixture until well blended.
- Stir in vanilla chips and macadamia nuts.
- Shape dough into small balls with your hands and place on an ungreased cookie sheet and lightly press the balls with fingers. They don’t spread too much.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack.