When I awoke this morning to the sound of rain in our parched California and the cool refreshing air greeting me, I thought – today calls for Meatloaf! I knew some grandkids (the reds that belong to CleverHousewife) were coming to town for dental appointments and nothing says “ah, grandma’s house” than a warm oven with the smell of homemade meatloaf wafting in the air.
I’ve had the same beloved meatloaf recipe for “oh, must be 20 years” then I had to recall, nope, I’ve had it since I was a newlywed, so that would make it a 43 yr old recipe. I got it when a group of young marrieds got together for a potluck while we were in college, and it’s been a family favorite ever since. My husband loves when it’s meatloaf night! As far as meatloaf goes, it’s just about perfection – moist, flavorful with all the right elements to say “Comfort!” Serve it up with some mashed potatoes and a fresh veggie, and you’ve got the perfect meal for a Fall (or Winter) day. And if you’re lucky enough to have any leftovers, it makes a perfect meatloaf sandwich the next day.
So here ya go – enjoy!
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I've even used ground turkey before)
- 2/3 C milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 c rolled oats
- 1 onion - chopped (dehydrated will work in a pinch)
- 1/2 c shredded carrots
- 1 c shredded cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c ketchup for top
- Using a large bowl, combine all ingredients together.
- Works best to use your hands to get it all blended well.
- Pack into a loaf pan, or narrow casserole, shaping like a loaf. Top with the ketchup.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- If needed, drain off excess grease before serving.