Today marks the first day of winter, and Christmas is less than a week away, so let the baking commence! Every year, I like to bake up a variety of goodies to take to friends, family and a few people that I think need a little cheer. I grab a few recipes from my arsenal, that I have been baking for years, but then I try one or two new recipes each year. This year I came up with a more simple, shareable version of my mom’s pecan logs. Thus was born Pecan Sugar Cookie Sticks dipped in caramel frosting.
When you are short on time, or want less mess, Pillsbury has so many great products that can be jazzed up for a surprising treat. This recipe uses Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Mix and Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Caramel Frosting. I am in love with this caramel frosting and am already trying to come up with more ways to use it in recipes.
What I love about these Pecan Sugar Cookie Sticks is that they make for a beautiful platter of treats to take to a party, or they can be packaged up with the frosting in a cute jar, and given as a gift.
If serving at a gathering, I highly recommend a spoon for the jar, so each guest can put a dollop of frosting on their plate. There will be double dipping! The cookies have a nice crunch to them, and great flavor, but nobody can resist using them as a vessel for the caramel frosting to get into their mouth. Yum!
Pick up a box of Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Mix and prepare according to the package. Instead of creating round cookies though, roll out into 1/2-inch logs and cut into 3-inch pieces. Use a little egg wash for each stick, then sprinkle a pecan and sugar mixture over the top. Bake and serve with caramel frosting.
- Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tbs sugar
- Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Caramel Frosting
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare the sugar cookie mix per the instructions on the package, by mixing together the mix, butter and 1 egg.
- Once you have the dough, place it on a floured surface. You may need to work a little extra flour into the dough, to prevent it from sticking. Divide into three sections and roll each out into 1/2-inch logs.
- From each log, divide into 3-inch long pieces. Place on a baking sheet lined with Parchment paper.
- With remaining egg, use a Pastry brush to spread on top of each cookie stick. Sprinkle pecan and sugar mixture over the top and bake for 8-10 minutes, or just until golden.
- Serve with Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Caramel Frosting.