I don’t know how your garden is growing, but I’ve got zucchini coming out my ears. Not complaining here -just trying to think of unique and new was to serve it up. So . . . I’ve decided try a new zucchini recipe weekly and post it here. I’ve made the zucchini cakes several times now, and am not tired of them!
You can never go wrong with brownies, so I thought they’d be a good dessert for our Father’s Day get together. I knew it was going to be a scorcher that day, so I baked the brownies the night before, so I could avoid heating up the kitchen the next morning. I left the frosting for just before serving. The brownies disappeared pronto, and none of the kids could tell they were loaded with yummy veggies. I also used unsweetened applesauce in place of the vegetable oil. These are a dense brownie – so beware.
Frosted Zucchini Brownies
Inspired by blogchef
- ½ cup vegetable oil (I used applesauce)
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups zucchini (shredded)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts – optional
- Chocolate Frosting-
- 6 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish. (I lined with parchment for ease or removal after baking, and transferred to a serving platter before frosting).
- In a large bowl mix together oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract until well blended.
- In another bowl combine the flour, ½ cup cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. A little at a time stir into the sugar mixture.
- Fold in zucchini and walnuts. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the brownies spring back when gently touched. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.
- To make the frosting- In a small saucepan over low heat melt together the cocoa powder and butter. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl blend powdered sugar, milk, and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir in the butter/cocoa mixture.
- Spread over cooled brownies and cut into squares.