Mom’s Best Sugar Cookie Recipe + The Perfect Frosting
With so many different sugar cookie recipes out there, how on earth is one to know which ones are TRULY GOOD?! Over the years, my mom worked really hard to develop an excellent Sugar Cookie Recipe that we could use year after year. I almost feel like I make more cookies in December than the entire rest of the year! Because sugar cookies are fun for the kids to help with, I make sure to make a batch or two during the holidays. I sometimes let the kids help decorate them and we deliver them to friends and family.
Now I would like to share my Mom’s Best Sugar Cookie Recipe with all of you! This year, I think I have mastered the perfect frosting too, with help from Glorious Treats! I. Am. In. Love.!! Enjoy!
Mom's Best Sugar Cookie Recipe
Author: Clever Housewife
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 3 doz
- 1½ cup butter
- 1½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt (only if used unsalted butter)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 Tbs heavy cream (milk will do)
- Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add the eggs and milk, and mix.
- Gradually add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Chill dough for one hour before rolling out on a floured surface.
- Roll out dough, but be sure not to get it too thin. Use shaped cookie cutters.
- Bake cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes, at 375°.
- Frost and decorate.
- To prepare frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until smooth. Add cream cheese and mix until smooth, again. If using salt, you can also add that now.
- Add one cup of powdered sugar and beat. Add the second cup of powdered sugar and beat.
- Mix the vanilla and 1 Tbs of the cream in, until combined.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar, one cup at a time - beating between additions.
- Add the remaining cream if needed, for desired consistency.
Love sugar cookies! Can’t wait to try this! Is there a repeat of several ingredients listed?? Please advise!
I hit post and the refreshed page doesn’t have the repeat! Sorry! Thank you again!
Yes Jane, something was wrong with my plug-in, but all is well now!
These sound great. Definitely going to try them!
This looks yummy
These sound so simple to make & look yummy~~ these might just be Santa’s cookies this year~~ thanks for sharing 🙂
My pregnant daughter in law (due next week) has been craving sugar cookies!! IMA have to try this recipe 🙂
Yum! Looks great!
My Hubby would love these
Looks so delicious! I can’t wait to try these with my littles!
We are going to make these for the home and as gifts for friends…Thanks so very much for sharing =0
Suppose to be =) =) =)
I made these today and the dough was really sticky. Not what I was used to. The dough was very tastey! Almost addictive lol! I added more flour and made them. Did 120 cookies from this batch Plus a few we ate before I counted lol. Thanks for the recipe!
I can’t wait to try this recipe because I LOVE sugar cookies. Thanks for the wonderful recipes.
I tried this at Christmas and they were fantastic. Bear I’ve made. I’m making them again this wek for St. Patricks day. Thanks!!
So glad you enjoy this recipe! Making shamrock cookies this time?
Perfect! I’ll never have to look for another sugar cookie recipe; and the frosting is heaven.
I’ve made these sugar cookies a couple different times, and they taste great! I didn’t make the frosting, used royal icing instead. It’s my go to recipe for Christmas sugar cookies 🙂 I use powdered sugar instead flour to roll my dough out on. Probably a sin in the baking world, but no issues here!
I’m so glad you like them, Leah!