I recently found out about Nakano Seasoned Rice Vinegar. Nakano has always been a known brand for a variety of vinegars, but I was very excited to learn about their new seasoned vinegars. I think the idea behind having seasoned vinegar is that you can get away with using less ingredients and less fat in recipes. Let me tell ya – I tried one of their recipes, and it is totally tasty!
According to my Nakano recipe booklet, most of the Seasoned Rice Vinegars have 20 calories and 0 fat, compared to the 100 calories and 11 grams of fat in butter. Between all of the new flavors of vinegar, you really could replace your butter, sour cream and/or mayonnaise, in many dishes. I received two different bottles of Nakano Seasoned Rice Vinegar. The first is Original and the second, which I used on my California Caviar, is the Roasted Garlic. Right on the bottle, it has suggestions for splashing on baked potatoes in place of sour cream, asparagus or broccoli for additional flavor, sandwiches in place of mayonnaise and shredded chicken and mixed veggies for a quick salad. The possibilities are endless!
I had 30 recipes to choose from in my Nakano recipe booklet, but you can also get more inspiration and recipes from Mizkan. I didn’t want to heat up the kitchen on this hot summer day, so I decided to make the California Caviar. It sounded interested and look delicious!
|California Caviar With Nakano Seasoned Rice Vinegar|
- 1/4 cup NAKANO Seasoned Rice Vinegar – Roasted Garlic, Red Pepper or Original
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 can (16 oz) black beans or black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro or parsley (I prefer parlsey, so that is what I used)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- In a large bowl, combine rice vinegar, oil, salt, jalapenos and garlic; mix well.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with tortilla chips, bagel chips or crackers.
Not only is Nakano offering us some great new products for the kitchen, but they also have a Nakano 60-Day SPLASH IT ON, STEP IT UP CHALLENGE. You can also learn how to play Splash for Cash. On June 25th, began a 60-Day walking challenge hosted on a Facebook Application to help generate consumer buzz around NAKANO. This challenge is to help encourage people to make healthy lifestyle choices. The challenge will encourage participants to eat more veggies and become more active. By visiting the facebook app, you will fun fun and helpful fitness features, and health features such as a step tracker wrapping around a globe that will show followers the number of steps walked. Of course, there are also healthy eating tips. Not only will you find all of these cool features, but there are prizes!
The prizes for this promotion include:
- First prize of a one-year free gym membership. If over 1 million steps are reached over the course of the 60 days, a second 1st prize will be awarded.
- Second prize winner receives six personal training sessions.
- Third prize winner will receive a Nakano workout bag.
- Splash Recipe Club includes recipes and blog features, plus each month a Splash subscriber has the chance to win $150!
“I wrote this review while participating in a campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Nakano and received a product sample to facilitate my review and a promotional item to thank me for participating.”