Fudge Sheet Cake
I can’t believe how long it has been since I have shared a recipe with all of you! We had a friends and family swim and bbq on Saturday and had one of our favorite go-to BBQ desserts – Fudge Sheet Cake! I love Fudge Sheet Cake because it is so moist, and it is one of those cakes that you can pick up with your hands and eat, if you want to. We served it with vanilla ice cream instead, which was an extra treat.
Another bonus of the Fudge Sheet Cake is that while it is a frosted cake, it only dirties one bowl and one pot! You can reuse the dishes for the frosting, without having to wash in between! Now that is My kind of cooking!
I have to be honest with you; I have a difficult time eating only one piece! Because the pieces are so moist and light, I can just keep cutting myself pieces. Mmm!
Be sure to also check out my Peanut Butter Sheet Cake!
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup water
- 6 Tbs Hershey’s baking cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter
- 4 Tbs cocoa
- 6 Tbs milk
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
- In a medium pot, bring water, butter, shortening and cocoa to a boil. Stir to dissolve cocoa.
- In a mixing bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Gradually poor hot mixture over dry ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Batter will be thin.
- Pour batter into an ungreased jelly roll pan (11×17). Scrape bowl out well, and do not wash.
- Bake at 375 degrees, for 20 minutes.
- While cake is cooking, prepare frosting.
- In the same pot used for first ingredients, melt butter, cocoa and milk over medium heat. Stir to dissolve cocoa.
- In previously used mixing bowl, add powdered sugar.
- Poor hot mixture over powdered sugar, beating at medium speed.
- Stir in vanilla and nuts, and spread over warm cake.