Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake
Oh my goodness – we found a fabulous new way to use up the zucchini and squash from your garden. Just looking at this Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake recipe made my mouth water. This Zucchini Bake recipe is adapted from Kalyn’s Kitchen, whom I must really thank for this recipe! Without further ado, here is the tasty recipe:
|Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake||
- 2 medium-sized zucchini, cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2 medium-sized yellow squash, cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2-4 T chopped fresh basil (or even less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil)
- 2 T thinly sliced green onion or red onion (red is my preference)
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup low-fat white cheese (I used Fiesta Blend)
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan (I would use a little less if you only have the very finely grated Parmesan from a can)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°, and Spray an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Wash the squash and cut in slices or half-moon slices. Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels, and finely chop. Slice green onions.
- Combine the sliced squash, chopped basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, and both kinds of cheese, and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese, and the herbs are well-distributed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.
- When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the dish out of the oven and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese, over the top. Put the dish back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked.
- Serve hot.